Accessibility Services

Home / RCC Student Services / Advising & Counseling / Accessibility Services

The Office of Accessibility Services at RCC works to assist students with disabilities in achieving their educational and vocational goals and to comply with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

We are committed to equal access to learning by providing academic accommodations to students with documented disabilities. By promoting student self-advocacy, RCC is striving to enhance the educational experience and the personal growth of the students we serve. Students must self-disclose to the Accessibility Counselor that they have a disability and would like to request services. Students will then be asked to provide appropriate documentation of educational needs relevant to their disability.

Accessibility Services Handbook

The Accessibility Services Handbook serves as a guide for both students and faculty. It is the main document that includes all policies and procedures related to accessibility services. Students are expected to follow all policies, procedures, and guidelines described in the handbook; failure to do so could impact the ability to receive accommodations at RCC.

Application for Accessibility Services

Please submit the Application for Accessibility Services  application to the Accessibility Services Counselor to request accommodations and/or accessibility services.

Contact Information
Office of Accessibility Services
Deborah Wodhanil, Accessibility Services Counselor
336-342-4261 ext. 2243
Advising & Counseling Center, 208-D
Whitcomb Student Center
Schedule an Appointment

RCC does not do any type of testing for disabilities. However, referrals for testing can be made to appropriate community resources

Responsibilities for Students & Faculty


Students with disabilities must maintain the same responsibility for their education as non-disabled students. This includes maintaining the same academic progression standards, maintaining appropriate behavior and giving timely notification on any needs requiring reasonable accommodations. Each college student with a disability must identify him/herself as a student with a disability within a reasonable and timely manner.  A student may choose to self-disclose his/her disability to faculty members or Student Development staff. However, to receive accommodations, students must meet with the Accessibility Counselor (or designee), and provide appropriate documentation of the disability. Each student is encouraged to discuss special needs he/she may have in a specific setting with his/her instructor. Self-advocacy promotes independence and develops the skills the student needs to function successfully in the work world.


Faculty should include a statement on their course syllabi that urges students to contact the Accessibility Counselor if they would like to self-report a disability and request reasonable accommodations. Faculty should not provide accommodations to students until they receive confirmation from the Accessibility Counselor.

Section 504/ADA Grievance Procedure

Students who believe they have been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability, or have been denied access to services or accommodations for which they are entitled, may file a grievance under this procedure.

When to Use the Section 504/ADA Grievance Procedure?

The Section 504/ADA Grievance Procedure is applicable to all students at the College. It is designed to address disputes that include, but are not limited to, the following:

  1. Disagreements about a requested service or accommodation of a College practice or requirement.
  2. Inaccessibility of a program or activity.
  3. Harassment or discrimination on the basis of disability.
  4. Violation of privacy in the context of a disability.

For all disability-related grievances, the Section 504/ADA Grievance Procedure is to be used. The Section 504/ADA Grievance Procedure can be found in the Accessibility Services Handbook .

Requesting Services & Counselor Contact Information?

You must self-disclose to the Counseling Services Department that you have a disability and request services. Appropriate documentation of educational needs relevant to a disability and functional limitations is required before services are provided.


Rockingham Community College
PO Box 38
215 Wrenn Memorial Rd.
Wentworth, NC 27375


Monday to Thursday:
8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am – 12:00 pm


336-349-9986 (fax)